Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Steps #1 and Almost #2 of Aurora

Hi There,

I did not have too much time for sewing this week, but did manage to complete steps #1 and almost #2 of Aurora. Also got the piece cut out for step #3. Life is getting busy, so I will have to learn to be content with small, baby steps towards completion.

The first photo is of step #1 and is of the star that will sit in the center of the quilt. You can see the transformation that occurs when you trim it to a 1/4" seam allowance. From somewhat of a duckling into a beautiful swan. The star was similar in construction to the Happiness quilt, so it went together fairly easily.

Step #2 is to applique the white round circle center onto the star. As per the instructions, I traced the template onto freezer paper. I went a little further and did 3 ply of freezer papers for added stiffness. I then ironed the freezer paper onto the wrong side of the fabric and used a small applique iron and Best Press to turn the edges under. I am satisfied with the results.

As this piece needs to be appliqued on, I was originally going to pin it on and sew. But I had seen a Judy Niemeyer Youtube (http://www.quiltworx.com/techniques/creative-grids-wedding-ring-template/) video where she glued pieces together rather than pinned them. I thought I would give it a try and used the glue you can see in the third photo. I used it very sparingly to avoid it coming through the fabric. I haven't appliqued the piece on, but it seems to be glued down pretty well. Fingers crossed that the appliqueing process will go smoothly. 

Once I get the center appliqued I can move on to step #3 which is sewing the white circle that will surround pieces 1 & 2.

Wish me luck!


Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment